The World at Abt
Solving the world’s most pressing issues and improving the quality of life for people worldwide is what we do every day at Abt Associates. Creating a more equitable world is no small task, but we are driven by big challenges.
We are a team of 4,000+ people in over 50 countries working in unison and focused on the bigger picture. Only by sharing our commitment, energy, and innovation do we affect change and push the boundaries of what’s possible. We welcome diverse ideas, backgrounds, and viewpoints – joining Abt means access to exceptional thinkers at the top of their game.
To thrive at Abt is to embrace flexibility and collaboration. Our open culture allows you to balance your work and personal life as needed to optimize personal well-being. Creating a more equitable world starts from within – we look after people around the world, and we’ll do the same for you.
Ready to embrace rewarding and meaningful work? Now’s your chance.
As the ITN Assistant, you will support programmatic and management oversight for all aspects of the project’s ITN distribution activities in your assigned region(s), district(s) and/or distribution channel(s), including planning, technical assistance and training, logistical and operational support and supervision, monitoring and evaluation, and external reporting. You will coordinate closely with all involved stakeholders – communities, governments, and technical experts – to promote equity, access, and sustainability of the PMI Evolve Project’s ITN activities as well as capacity strengthening and skills transfer to local institutions.
The PMI Evolve Project supports the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID to plan and implement an integrated vector control strategy with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria while promoting equity to sustain malaria gains. Abt has implemented integrated vector control for PMI since 2011, delivering high-quality indoor residual spraying (IRS), technical assistance for insecticide-treated net (ITN) distribution and durability monitoring, and new approaches for larval source management (LSM). Additionally, Abt’s PMI-funded work manages the most comprehensive malaria vector entomological surveillance programs in 21 African countries to inform malaria vector control trends, strategies, and impact. Under the PMI Evolve Project, Abt will further its delivery of integrated vector control programs by partnering with local communities, organizations, and governments to co-design and co-implement tailored malaria vector control programs. The end goal is fighting malaria while strengthening local capacity to sustain malaria gains.
- Support ITN distribution planning efforts in assigned geographical area, including coordinating product selection and quantifications of ITNs, logistical planning for ITN distribution and transportation; ITN and equipment storage, security, and environmental safety; and coordination with community members and district-level counterparts.
- Work in collaboration with the malaria and/or vector control focal point persons at Regional and the District Health Office levels to manage the planning and coordination of ITN distribution activities.
- Support community dialogue and acceptance to increase use of ITNs for malaria vector control.
- Coordinate ITN-related community mobilization and SBCC/IEC activities and data collection process.
- Quantify ITNs, personnel, transportation needs, and all other supplies for routine distribution.
- Assist targeting, quantifications, and technical approach for ITN mass campaigns at regional and district level.
- Coordinate channels and approaches for continuous distribution (e.g., health facility, school-based, etc.)
- Oversee the recruitment, training, and supervision of temporary staff including registrars, data collection and reporting clerks, and/or community mobilizers.
- Support ITN distribution and contribute to the trainings conducted in the assigned geographical area.
- Coordinate and track inventory distribution and storage of materials working with the project’s logistics and procurement team to support procurement of ITNs and related supplies.
- Coordinate with project M&E staff to design and manage robust ITN monitoring activities.
- Ensure that routine program tracking and reporting are in place and delivered on time.
- Supervise and monitor field data collection with project M&E team.
- Assist with implementation of risk prevention and environmental compliance measures and work closely with the project environmental compliance and safety staff to address relevant issues.
- Coordinate communication between the districts in the assigned geographic area and the project office.
- Represent the program at meetings with the community leaders and local steering committees.
- Organize and coordinate district-level planning meetings, community mobilization, and technical trainings.
- Prepare weekly and other activity reports as directed by the project ITN Coordinator and/or Vector Control Manager.
- The position requires frequent travel to field sites to support district and community level operations and activities.
What We Value
- Bachelor’s Degree + two years of relevant experience, or master’s degree + zero years of relevant experience,
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Business Administration, or other relevant field.
- At least two (2) years of relevant professional work experience, with significant amounts of experience directly managing ITN distributions and/or malaria vector control project activities at the district level.
- At least one (1) year working in close partnership with government stakeholders, local community leaders, and partner organizations with an emphasis on capacity strengthening and skills transfer.
- Familiarity and comfort with the logistics and management of ITNs or other public health commodities.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a minimum of direction and supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to work both as a member of a team and as a team leader, with the ability to accept the inputs of other team members.
- Strong management and planning skills for project tasks and budgets.
- Demonstrates leadership and teamwork and produces high quality work in a timely, cost-effective manner and has excellent writing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communications, and organizational skills.
- Excellent computer skills, computer software programs, including MSWord, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with USAID funded programs and/or other international development experience.
- French language fluency and English language proficiency desired.
What We Offer
We foster an environment where you can Thrive Your Way. Our innovative total rewards programs are designed to help balance your work and personal life. The approach toward your wellbeing centers around comprehensive benefits and professional development.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.